Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day 2 of a Short Stay

I arrived back at the "hotel" as we refer to it yesterday (Monday). I started my 2nd chemotherapy treatment at 1 PM. I'm currently in remission, but while I wait for a bone marrow donor match, I need to keep it in remission with these treatments. This time though, they cut back the dose to 4 doses instead of 6, and they're letting me go home in 3 days instead of 7. We'll do the neulasta injections right after I get home so my white blood cells won't drop to zero this time - hallelujah! And I'll be getting prophylactic antibiotics and antifungals to prevent infections. I'll get blood work done 3 times a week. I was achy like what you feel when you have the flu after my first chemo treatment today. But despite that and despite my 2nd dose starting at 1 AM, I had a good night sleep.

Today, Day 2, was a GREAT day due to all the wonderful visitors that came and the fact that I didn't have any treatments to deal with. All of my day visitors got to enjoy the beautiful weather and views that my rooftop location provides on the gorgeous patio. First Emily came with, yes, M&Ms - she was definitely paying attention to my Facebook status! Thanks Emily...she also came with my favorite DVDs by Beth Moore, the most gifted Bible teacher to women that God has ever given. Then my husband and kids came for a nice lunch break and we played some roaring games of Hearts and Crazy 8's. Later, Pastors Troy, Drew and Andrew came by for a great visit on the patio where we chatted and they encouraged me in God's Word and prayed for me.

The verses that spoke to me the most today come from Psalm 73, which Andrew Valle shared with me today:

23 Nevertheless I am continually with You;
You hold me by my right hand.
24 You will guide me with Your counsel,
And afterward receive me to glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
26 My flesh and my heart fail;
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
27 For indeed, those who are far from You shall perish;
You have destroyed all those who desert You for harlotry.
28 But it is good for me to draw near to God;
I have put my trust in the Lord GOD,
That I may declare all Your works.

Those verses meant a lot to me because it's just exactly how I feel. Even though my body is going to go through the ringer over the next several months, I know that God is my stronghold, the only thing that keeps me going and the One I will continue to praise no matter how tough this temporary experience gets.

I must say that through all the love I've been shown by you all, I've been able to experience just a taste of what Heaven must be like! Praise God for all His wonderful deeds - for keeping me so strong through this, for keeping me as healthy as possible, for helping my family and keeping them strong and healthy, and for all His provisions. He is a great God! You are great friends and family, whom God has used in taking care of us.

Speaking of that, if you have brought meals to our home in dishware you'd like back, please come back for a visit and take them home with you. Most of our meals came from my homeschooling community and boy, do you all know how to cook! YUM! We enjoyed every meal, the quick ones ordered out too, and how sweet you are to make your family favorites for us. A couple of meals came from others who hit the spot with an In-N-Out run. So thank you all for your generosity including the shopping list runs and even providing the groceries for us at times! It was an overwhelming feeling of love we had from you all and we thank God for you so much! Thanks for stepping up to His calling on your hearts. Ok, now for some pics of the day...

These photos are of the service dogs that come visit - the golden mixed breed's named Chico and the little white dog is Rambo. The kids love when they get to see the dogs that come around. The hillside view of the Mission is taken from the gorgeous patio I told you about. The sunset was unbelievable tonight and was taken in the final throes from my room window. Enjoy!


No comments: