Thursday, October 31, 2013

Day 10: Sufficient Grace

Last night was really rough.  Krista went to bed feeling achy all over -- probably a reaction to the transfusion -- and then developed a migraine.  The medicine pumps were beeping though the night and she didn't sleep much even though she was really groggy.  I slept through the night ok, but it's sort of like long-term camping -- not all that comfortable.

John Piper reminded me in my devotional reading this morning that God has purposes for suffering that He doesn't relieve. Before I left to take a shower, I prayed over Krista that she would experience God's grace as sufficient for her today.

While I was gone, the oncologist visited and made some good changes. The pain medicine delivery was adjusted to provide a constant low-dose supply, with extra being delivered when Krista presses the button. It turned out that the button pressing was too complicated for Krista to track. Later in the day her nurse reprogrammed the PCA to show a light on the button when it was ok to press the button. That really helped her to know how to work it. She's been so groggy that it's hard for her to keep track of most anything. She turned away the physical therapist and the recreational therapist because she just couldn't keep her eyes open.

Around 2 pm, something changed.  She started to be more alert and wanted to eat a meatball sandwich. Later we took a walk around the building and played some backgammon.  She still needs to take frequent naps, but it seems much different than the last 24 hours. 

It's likely going to be a couple of weeks before the new immune system starts to show itself.  We're expecting her blood counts to be dropping during that time.  So far they're low but she hasn't required any transfusions yet.  

I think that God really answered my prayer this morning. Thank you all for your prayers as well.  May He continue to get the glory in how we suffer together!
But he [Jesus] said to me [Paul], “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
(2 Corinthians 12:9)

1 comment:

john_richey said...

Thank you very much for your posts and especially for the bible verses. Jesus is our shield,our glory,and the lifter of our head. psalm3....HE has really lifted both of you beyond the immense problems facing you. Having been through a transplant, I am amazed that your wife is eating. This is a blessing...I could barely eat anything for weeks and it slowed the recovery. Although you don't know me, I read your blog and I pray for both of you. Lydia Richey