Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 43: Changing

So much is changing right now, it's hard to be certain in what to communicate. Krista had her colonoscopy and biopsies the other day. Initially, there were reports of signs of GVHD taking place internally. There was also reports of GVHD activity found in the skin biopsy from the rash she had earlier. They told us that they were going to put her on a high dose prednisone schedule to get this under control and that it would keep Krista in the hospital for another week. As a reminder, GVHD is potentially life-threatening if it gets bad - but they do want to see some GVHD because it helps fight against any remaining leukemia (which in Krista's case has shown to be problematic).  Krista posted some comments to Facebook expressing this concern, and many people were praying for the proper GVHD balance.

I have been fighting this cough for a while now, and it started to affect my voice too. Krista thought it would be best for me to go home and get some rest. Trevor had also gotten sick earlier in the day, so we decided it would be better for him to rest it off at home.  I drove home in the evening and picked up the kids and got to bed early to start my rest. I was resting so I couldn't publish a post last night, which is probably a good thing because this morning so many things have changed....

The doctors now say that there are NOT signs of GVHD in her gut, though there was signs of it in the skin biopsy. This is a total answer to all the Facebook prayers! The stomach problems were more likely to be due to the virus that we've all acquired. It sounds like the week-long treatment isn't necessary anymore, so they would like to discharge her tomorrow! Krista is checking on whether there are any openings at the Village now. I'll be heading back down there tomorrow either way. If there's an opening, then I'll bring her clothes and stay with her there. Otherwise, I'll pick her up and bring her back home to Santa Barbara.
In my distress I called to the Lord;
I cried to my God for help.
From his temple he heard my voice;
my cry came before him, into his ears.
(Psalm 18:6)

No comments: