Saturday, December 7, 2013

Day 46: Home Again, Home Again...

Krista here! I am seeing if my fingers are willing to take over the blogger role. Unfortunately, the medication tacrolimus causes the shakes. When my youngest saw my hands shaking, he exclaimed, "That is so cool!" To which my oldest corrected him, "Trevor, that is not cool. I'm sure she doesn't enjoy it." They spent a few minutes discussing the joy and dismay of my new shake. FYI, Adam was right - not fun. And now I know, I have to acknowledge that I can not type except to peck with two fingers.

I just spent a week at City of Hope apparently recovering from a nasty stomach flu. They were treating me for an infection called c.diff just in case since they found an area of inflammation in there. I really can't believe how sick I was last Saturday and Sunday and how things changed around in such short time. Thank God!

I was glad to be there for the full week to let everyone get over their own flu. Mike got extra rest time. Trevor's lasted only a couple days and Adam just needed extra naps.

My labs are awesome - everything in normal range and platelets 230,000k! Technically I'm no longer neutropenic, so I am introducing fresh foods again. I can't imagine how I am supposed to live on processed, all cooked foods for 100 days and expect further healing. The 100 day "rule" is quite arbitrary and unique to City of Hope. UCLA's rule was just to eat low bacteria until your white count was normal. My favorite Nurse Practioner, Corie, and I had this discussion when she fell back into her UCLA rules having worked there for longer than at City of Hope. In fact, we shared many funny stories having been at UCLA at the same time and she knew Dr. Schiller.

I wish I had a picture to share from my week, but it was a real lazy one for me. Blah blah blah! I did lose some muscle as a result, but I have plans for improvement!

Tomorrow...it will begin to look and sound more like Christmas around here. I'm really looking forward to a quiet Christmas with the kids and Mike since we COMPLETELY missed Thanksgiving. That's a first!

Gracious is the Lord, and righteous;
Yes, our God is compassionate. 
The Lord preserves the simple;
I was brought low, and He saved me. Return to your rest, O my soul,
For the Lord has dealt bountifully with you. 
(Psalm 116:5-7)

No comments: