Thursday, September 25, 2008

God and Humor

Does God have a sense of humor? You bet! Listen to what happened. The last day I was home, the subject of my hair came up. Adam was concerned about me losing it, which I will. He really didn't think that looked very good last time that happened. In his words, "it looks scary." I said, "hmmm...scary, not ugly?" That too. But, I digress. I told him to just think of it as a REALLY bad haircut and it grows back quickly.

We proceeded to move to the couch so we could do some reading. We were learning about limericks and opened the poetry book and after learning their structure, the first example limerick went like this:

I'd rather have fingers than toes
I'd rather have ears than a nose;
And as for my hair
I'm glad it's all there
I'll be awfully sad when it goes!

- Gelett Burgess (1866-1951)

I could not have possibly planned that! See, God has a sense of humor! And He cares for us so much, He was meeting Adam right where he was at, cheering him up. Adam is the one that said, "That is just for you mom!" and he was smiling and then continued to memorize it on his own since he enjoyed it so much. What a sweet moment.

And here's another! Last night, I was trying to go to sleep, I left my Bible on the foot of my bed so I wouldn't have to reach for it the morning. I turned out the light (yanked the cord really hard), and turned to get comfortable on my side, when I accidentally kicked the Bible which fell between the matress and the foot of the bed. I hear this noise of machinery, hey the bed is rising, YIKES, I'm rising! Of course I couldn't see and it was all the way down there and I have cords to worry about. So, I pull the light cord and scramble gingerly to the foot of the bed, watching that I don't pull the I.V. out on the way to grab that Bible and stop the uplifting! I was pretty high before I caught it and said, "Lord, I don't think that's what you had in mind when you said you'd raise me from my sickbed!" Sweet fellowship with my Lord.

Thought you'd enjoy that! :)

Psalm 126 When the Lord brought back the captives to Zion, we were like men who dreamed. Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The Lord has done great things for them." The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with joy. Restore our fortunes, O Lord, like streams in the Negev. Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.

I love this Psalm and it reminds me so much of my life - I felt like a captive to sickness for so long and then he restored me and my life has been filled with joy and laughter and song, and people have been amazed at the transformation in my life that the Lord has done. And even now, our tears are turning to joy already and we don't even have to wait until I'm fully recovered, isn't He a great God?!


3 comments:

~just me~ said...

oh my! :) what a perfect poem to follow that conversation!! :)

Reminds me of a song by The Persuasions, called "I'm So Glad"

I’m so glad that I’ve got knees
‘cause I can climb up and hang in the trees

I’m so glad that I’ve got hair
It would feel mighty funny with nothing up there

I’m so glad that I’ve got skin
‘cause that’s what keeps my insides in

I’m so glad that I’ve got a nose
Even though it looks like one of my toes

I’m so glad that I’ve got arms
Cause that’s what holds my hands on

I’m so glad that I’ve got feet
I can run and jump and skip down the street

I’m so glad that I’ve got teeth
‘cause there’s so many good things to eat

I’m so glad that I’ve got eyes
‘cause when I get sad I can always cry

I’m so glad that I’ve got a head
I can lay it on my pillow when I’m lyin’ in bed

I’m so glad that I’ve got a face
‘cause I am a member of the human race


A great song for putting things into perspective & keeping a thankful heart. :)

We're praying for you! :)

Natalie said...

Psalm 126 is a Psalm of Ascent (120-134)which I only know from doing the Beth Moore Study Stepping Up at the beginning of the year.

The pilgrims were rehearsing God's goodness and then asking him to do it again.

That is what we ask of Him for you!

Unknown said...

Love you Karina!

And Natalie, I just did the Psalms of Assent Beth Moore study, "Stepping Up" - powerful and I loved it. I missed the last few weeks of homework and plan on doing it in here, plus my friend is bringing me the DVDs of Beth Moore while I'm in here. Living down here in SB is a whole different experience - I get to see people and feel LOTS of God's love through his people. Prais God! Thanks for your comments ;)