Friday, March 13, 2009

Resting Better

After a restful sleep, we got off to a very slow morning. I felt like something was blocking my ability to think clearly, almost like being hungover. We decided that even having the smelly wheelchair closed in the bathroom wasn't working, so I called the rental company to get it returned. I had to leave a message with them, but arranged to put the wheelchair at the font desk just to get it out of the room. Some people have asked me where the smell is coming from. I'm not completely sure about that, but it seems like it's just inferior materials. The hospital wheelchairs don't have any smell.

Later in the morning, Krista developed some very dense pitikia on her feet after using the commode. That is usually a sign that her platelets are dangerously low, so we got her back in bed and had her rest until our afternoon office visit.

I took advantage of the down-time to take care of some errands. JJ Gobel was coming down to donate platelets and brought down our mail and other stuff that Monica put together for us. I went to meet him at the blood bank. I didn't see him right off so I met with Jaime, who seems to run the place, to ask a few questions about delays we've seen. He says that there is at least a 48 hour delay to make a donation available for transfusion. Once the platelets are donated, a sample is shipped to Arizona for testing. That testing has to take place, even for donors who have given before. I eventually caught up with JJ, who was being interviewed by Julie who I had previously only known as a voice at the blood bank. There they are on the right. JJ ended up not being able to donate today, but I really appreciate the attempt and the delivery. Thank you!

The next stop brought me to Jeanne Axelrod's house. She let me know that she loves doing laundry, and my laundry pile was getting to be pretty big. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I felt bad about leaving Krista alone for too long with her platelets being so low. Thanks Jeanne for helping out like that!

When I got back, Glen and Janelle were already there. Janelle hard-boiled some eggs for an egg salad sandwich (minus the bread), an easy-to-chew and easy-to-store food for Krista to be able to take a few bites from. Then we all took the shuttle together over to the hospital for our afternoon office visit. We met another couple waiting at the hotel shuttle stop; the husband was in a wheelchair as well. We got to talking and discovered that they are from Paso Robles and he received a stem-cell transplant for a rare form of lymphoma ten days before Krista and was just recently discharged. They shared many of the same complications, including liver failure and a lengthy stay in the ICU. It was encouraging for both of us to see another couple going through the same things she's been through -- hopefully it was the same for them.

While Krista got her blood drawn, Glen and Janelle went to the cafeteria to get me a larger lunch to keep me running. When the labs came back, I was shocked to learn that Krista's platelets were at 22,000. I couldn't believe it after seeing the pitikia this morning, but the nurse reminded me that 22,000 is still a low platelet condition that can cause pitikia. They don't normally give a transfusion at this level unless there's bleeding (which fortunately there wasn't). I was nervous about going into the weekend without getting a transfusion. If they dropped and she starts bleeding, we would have to take her to the emergency room. Fortunately, HLA-matched platelets were available, and with a special doctor's override of the rules, the transfusion boosted her up to 46,000. I think I'll sleep better starting off with that much.

Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?"
Let the light of Your face shine upon us, O LORD.
You have filled my heart with greater joy
than when their grain and new wine abound.
I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for You alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.
(Psalm 4:6-8)


Anonymous said...

Krista and Mike!
On your February 13th entry you mentioned a patient who came out of ICU--it was us! I am always excited about God's plan for us. I know meeting you at the shuttle was scheduled in His time. Terry and Monica Campbell

Krista said...

It was so nice meeting you too! I hope Terry is doing better each day. I have seen progess each day too which gives me hope, even though there have still been very bad days physically. Let's keep in touch - my email address is and we can exchange info that way. I might be going home this Tuesday if nothing changes. I'm experiencing mild GVHD in the form of a skin rash. Has Terry experienced any GVHD?