Saturday, March 28, 2009

Reunited


It was so exciting today to have the boys come home. The Steffen's kept them at their house until now to let us get acclimated to the new environment. That ended up being a good call. Being back in the house has not cured all the symptoms Krista has. But being here is at least comfortable for her, and it's a lot easier for me to cook in as well. So having the kids now seemed much easier than having a bunch of changes all at once. The boys are doing great. It took no time at all for them to get right back to their old routines: legos, bike riding, playing with kids in the neighborhood. I took them out shopping later, and it was really neat to see how attentive and helpful they were. I really missed being with them. Thank you Cory and Alyssa for taking them in and showing them so much love!

Krista continues to have stomach pains regularly -- extra strong on the weekends due to the extra antibiotic she takes three times a day on Saturdays and Sundays. The stomach pain comes with nausea and vomiting on occasion, like last night. There's also bone and muscle pain which flare up especially at night. She feels weak most of the time, but is strong enough to make short trips around the house with her walker. Bathing is more of a challenge here than it was at the hospitality house, since we do not have a handicap bar on our tub for her to pull up out of the tub with.

Some people have asked me about how to make blood and platelet donations now that she's back. It's pretty complicated, actually.

On Tuesdays, she'll be getting a blood test at home, and if she needs a transfusion then (and chances are good that she will) it will be done locally. Local transfusions come from United Blood Services (UBS) which is at 902 Laguna in Santa Barbara. You can schedule an appointment at 805-965-7037. UBS can take donations specifically directed to a patient, but they will charge you $500 to do so. Because of that policy, I would recommend making a free undirected donation there if that works for you. If you're donating platelets here, try to do it on Friday or Saturday so that they will be available on Tuesday without expiring.

On Fridays, she'll be going down to UCLA to get labs and possible transfusions. Donations to the UCLA Bloood and Platelet Center can patient-directed at no cost. The number for appointments there is 310-206-6187. If you are donating down there, it would be best to go on Monday or Tuesday to get past the 48-hour testing period and stay within the 5-day expiration period.

Thank you all for your continuing support!

In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame.
Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness;
turn your ear to me and save me.
Be my rock of refuge,
to which I can always go;
give the command to save me,
for you are my rock and my fortress.
(Psalm 71:1-3)

No comments: