Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Training To Go?

Krista continues improving in her mobility. She is standing up better today, still with effort but not as strained. She sat in a regular chair again for an hour and a half. The physical therapist came in while she was on the chair and showed her some exercises to keep her feet from swelling while sitting. Soon they were scooting out the door for a short jaunt.

After she got back to bed, a transplant coordinator came in to give us some training on transition to outpatient care. She said that because Krista had spent so long in the hospital (it's been in 5 weeks since the transplant), we should have a little bit of an easier set of care responsibilities than most. The info was mostly generic, probably meant to be an overview with the details to be filled in when we get the final discharge. In a meeting with the on-call doctor afterward, he clarified our largest uncertainty: we should only be at the hospitality house for a week or two before we can go home. It's all still a bit tentative, so I don't know if I would put much stock in that estimate.

The variability has to do with Krista's continued low platelet condition. If the platelets continue to be problematic, they may delay the discharge until Monday since it is not really possible to get outpatient transfusions on the weekend except in the emergency room. Her platelets were dangerously low today -- 4,000 this morning, and that was after a transfusion last night. They gave her more platelets this morning, but didn't check the levels because there were no more platelets available for her -- at least not until this evening, and then only 1 pint was available. There is a caravan of Santa Barbarians coming down tomorrow to donate platelets, and we feel like the cavalry is showing up just in the nick of time. It's only because the doctors know more donations are coming that they are willing to give Krista the last pint of platelets tonight!

I love the LORD, for he heard my voice;
He heard my cry for mercy.
Because He turned his ear to me,
I will call on him as long as I live.
The cords of death entangled me,
the anguish of the grave came upon me;
I was overcome by trouble and sorrow.
Then I called on the name of the LORD:
"O LORD, save me!"
The LORD is gracious and righteous;
our God is full of compassion.
The LORD protects the simplehearted;
when I was in great need, He saved me.
(Psalm 116:1-6)

No comments: