Sunday, November 3, 2013

Day 13: The Worst Day

It is hard to express how things changed today -- partly because I wasn't there for much of it, but mostly for the intensity of the shift.  Krista spent most of the day today nauseous and vomiting. I tried to contact her all morning but she did not answer.  Now I know why.  When I arrived, she was asleep and barely responded when I told her the kids and my mother were here. She was just so wiped out from the morning that she couldn't respond or open her eyes.  The nurse said that they had been trying to help her with anti-nausea, but even though she hadn't eaten all day she still threw up a lot.  The kids didn't get much of a visit today, just enough to say bye. Trevor was disappointed because he had his magic tricks all ready to show her. (Yesterday he left them in the car.) After they left, Krista wanted me to sit with her while she threw up. Nothing seems to bring relief though. She said, "This is the worst day." Praying for a better tomorrow...
Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am in distress;
my eyes grow weak with sorrow,
my soul and body with grief.
My life is consumed by anguish
and my years by groaning;
my strength fails because of my affliction,
and my bones grow weak.
(Psalm 31:9-10)

3 comments:

john_richey said...

When I was going through all the dark days of all the treatments, before, during and after the transplant, my husband and I clung to Psalm 34 which has become one of my favorite psalms: I will bless The Lord at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul makes its boast in The Lord;
Let the humble hear and be glad.
Oh magnify The Lord with me,
And let us exalt his name together.
I sought The Lord and he answered me
And delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant,
And their faces shall never be ashamed.
This poor man cried and The Lord heard him
And saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of The Lord encamped around those
Who fear him and delivers them.
Oh taste and see that The Lord is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
Oh fear The Lord o you his saints
For those who fear him have no lack.
The young lions suffer want and hunger
But those who seek The Lord lack no good thing.
Come oh children listen to me;
and I will teach you the fear of The Lord.
What man is there who desires life and loves many days that he may see good.
Keep your tongue from evil
And your lips from speaking deceit;
Turn away from evil and do good.
Seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of The Lord are toward the righteous
And his ears toward their cry.
The face of The Lord is against those who do evil,
To cut off the memory of them from the earth.
When the righteous cry for help,The Lord hears
And delivers them out of all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the broken hearted
And saves the crushed in spirit.
Many are the afflictions do the righteous
But The Lord delivers him out of them all.
He keeps all his bones;
Notone of them is broken.
Affliction will slay the wicked
And those who hate the righteous
Will be condemned.
The Lord redeems the life of his servants;
None of those who take refuge in him
Will be condemned.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, Jesus is guarding you now for a salvation yet to be revealed. Lydia Richey


Unknown said...

Oh, Mike, my heart aches for you. Praying for relief from the nausea and vomiting. Much love to you all. Kathi

Anonymous said...

Continuous prayers from the other side of the continent.

We love you guys

Ben