Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Day 36: Recovering

Krista's condition is improving as she recovers at the City of Hope. The lab results have not come back so there haven't been many changes in the technique, which is primarily IV antibiotics.

The oncologist said that if she is able to keep the fever down for 2 days then she can go. They stopped giving her Tylenol earlier today, so the afternoon she had fever-free counts toward her release. I don't know if this will complicate the situation but this evening when we visited her blood pressure was too high. I think it was because of the pain level she was experiencing, but they treated it directly with a blood pressure reducer. Her pain was quite bad but it was too early was to get more pain killer so she was just going to have to wait it out. The pain specialist has been stopping by twice a day, so maybe tomorrow he'll be able to adjust the dose again.

The oncologist also had some good news for after she get discharged. He wants Krista to be able to be more independent in taking care of herself. He clarified that the role of caretaker doesn't have to be a 24/7 presence with her; it just needs to be someone who can be available to help, even a neighbor or a nearby friend. That will make it much easier if we are at home, as I should be able to go into work from time to time. Of course, the best thing would be to stay locally after that but we're still on the waiting list for the Village since it's still booked. The hotel the boys and I are staying at is really nice, newish, and clean. It would be great to keep her here, but it doesn't have cooking facilities. We'll have to see what will work as she gets closer to release.
Cast your cares on the Lord
and he will sustain you;
he will never let
the righteous be shaken.
(Psalm 55:22)

No comments: