Friday, November 29, 2013

Day 38: Rushing

My phone ran out of  battery overnight. This is not a typical thing for me since I am usually very diligent to keep it charged between 20 and 80 percent. Last night, however, I accidentally left my charging cable in the car. I had intended to get it early in the morning so my phone could partially charge before breakfast, but I slept in and we needed to get there before the buffet closed. We ate our breakfast and were just about done when the waiter beckoned me to come with him and said that my wife wanted me. I thought he must have had the wrong person, and I explained to him that it couldn't be my wife because she was in the hospital. He laughed and said, "No, she's on the telephone!"  Krista had been trying to call me, because she was being discharged today. It was quite frustrating for her since I wasn't reachable, and somehow she managed to track me down to the breakfast room of the hotel. Krista is a very resourceful woman!

Everything worked out well, though I was a bit rushed all day.  (I think the rest of the world was rushed too, with all the Black Friday activity.) The boys got in a swim while I showered and packed. The hotel was kind enough to cancel our last night's stay without the proper 24-hour notice. I picked up her medicines from two different pharmacies and fed the kids what they were craving 20 minutes away. (Why are there no Chick-Fil-A's in the Pasadena area?)

Krista is at home now, tired and still recovering a bit, but since her medical condition is stable there's no reason to keep her in the hospital. It's good to be home, though there was a rush there also to get the house sanitized again so Krista could avoid having to go back again. I'm looking forward to a good night's rest in my own bed!
Surely everyone goes around like a mere phantom;
in vain they rush about, heaping up wealth
without knowing whose it will finally be.
But now, Lord, what do I look for?
My hope is in you.
(Psalm 39:6-7)

No comments: