Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day 23: Change Of Plans

Krista had another really good day today. I had a bunch of errands to do today (including getting her phone fixed -- thanks Eric!), so I wasn't around to witness some of it. She walked around, did physical therapy and music therapy. She's eating more of her food now, so they are able to have her on the nutrition drip only during the day. All in all, she's doing so well that she says she doesn't need my help right now. She's sending me home tomorrow!

The doctors are not going to discharge her this weekend, but we're going to shoot for discharge next Friday. That will just work out better for everyone. I think it's important for me to be there for it, because they have all these doctors come in on the day of discharge and give instructions. The daily pharmacy list is quite overwhelming, and she's going to need help creating a way of tracking when to take what. We tried a number of different approaches last time and I think that the chart I put together ended up working well for her. Another rule they have once she goes outside is that they want her to minimize her contact with people for a while to prevent exposure to viruses particularly. So she'll spend the next week in the nice clean hospital getting stronger and having them keep a close eye out for GVHD.

Krista had to cut her physical therapy session short because they were working on arms and there's a suspicious painful hardening on her lower arm that zapped her when she extends in a particular way during the exercise. We've heard from others who have had stem-cell transplants that hardening like that is sometimes an effect of GVHD. She's been showing the nurses and they all say to show the oncologist tomorrow. It's not too bad right now but, if it is GVHD, we're hoping it doesn't get worse because that particular kind can lead to some debilitating problems with the arms and hands. We'll let you know what they say tomorrow.
Teach me your way, Lord;
lead me in a straight path
because of my oppressors.
Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
for false witnesses rise up against me,
spouting malicious accusations.
I remain confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the Lord
in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the Lord.
(Psalm 27:11-14)

No comments: