Monday, April 20, 2009

Between The Rock And A Hard Place

We had tried an experiment this weekend with Krista's medicine schedule. Normally on Saturday and Sunday she is supposed to take bactrim, which makes her feel awful, and leucovorin, which is supposed to minimize the awfulness of bactrim. The doctor had told us that they didn't have to be taken on the weekends (it was just simpler for them to tell patients to take them on weekends). The medicine pair can be taken any two days of the week. So this time, Krista thought she would save the "bad days" for Monday and Tuesday to make the weekends a little better. The weekend might have been a little better, although it took the rest of the weekend to recover from one outing; but feeling awful on Monday is not any better than feeling awful on Saturday!

Soon after she took the first dose of bactrim, she began to notice an increase in pain when urinating. That was a good reminder to make a urology appointment -- which is going to take some finagling since the recommended office is booked for the next two weeks. Her local oncologist is looking into "writing a note" to the other doctor to get her in earlier. It's a strange thing because bactrim is often used to treat bladder infections, not cause symptoms of a bladder infection. It was nice to see our friend Heather, who came over to visit and help distract Krista from her pain. The pain eventually morphed into a general bad feeling with nausea -- the typical side effects of bactrim. Krista emailed the oncologist at UCLA, who wrote back that there is an alternative drug, Mepron, that is taken daily -- but it's expensive and insurance might not cover it. We'll call tomorrow to find out.

Krista wasn't the only one feeling bad today. My mother has come down with the cold that Krista had. So far it's not too bad, she was able to take Adam to his drum lesson and make a quick trip to the grocery store, but she did need a nap and didn't look very energetic this evening. The Sutton family came to the rescue with a yummy taco salad for dinner (thank you!). Hopefully Mom will be feeling better tomorrow after a good rest.

It's a hard spot to be in like this because I need to get back into work. I went in for half the day today and discovered that there's a big release coming up Wednesday. There's quite a few items that need my attention in the office, so working from home is more difficult this week. It's pretty bad timing, but I'm praying that this will all work out somehow!

In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in Your righteousness.
Turn Your ear to me,
come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
a strong fortress to save me.
Since You are my rock and my fortress,
for the sake of Your name lead and guide me.
Free me from the trap that is set for me,
for You are my refuge.
Into Your hands I commit my spirit;
redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth.
(Psalm 31:1-5)

No comments: