Sunday, April 26, 2009


Krista's fever broke last night. She woke up feeling much better. And with the fever gone, Krista was ready to go home.

The on-call fellow, who wasn't familiar with Krista, was concerned about some things that were in her records from months ago when she was recovering from the liver/kidney failure. He ordered a CAT scan of her liver and kidney to "make sure" they weren't infected. Krista knew that this wasn't necessary, but they were quite insistent.

Shortly after that, Krista's regular oncologist stopped by unexpectedly. He was leaving to go to Washington D.C. again, but wanted to stop in to see Krista. She filled him in on what was going on. He agreed that a CAT scan wasn't necessary and said that if the fever stayed away for 24 hours then Krista could go home. That got Krista's hopes up, and she started making plans in her head.

Unfortunately, the on-call doctors didn't get the message, and they continued to feel that she needed to stay until they figure out what caused the infection. Everyone, including her regular oncologist, agrees that the most likely cause of the infection was from a complication of the urological examination. The on-call doctor is admittedly being excessively cautious because he doesn't know her history -- and her regular oncologist isn't reachable.

Krista has been really frustrated with their unreasonableness, but she's decided to be a good patient and not walk out tonight. She could do that, but it's easier to leave in the morning when she has more energy. The plan is to go in the morning unless they have some new compelling reason to keep her here. There's only one problem with the plan -- there's no prescription for the IV antibiotics she's on right now. Her regular oncologist said that I would be able to administer them at home but I can't do that without a prescription. Once we get that squared away, we should be set to go.

My mother has been with the boys while we've been down here, but she needs to go home to Carlsbad for an event she's responsible for on Wednesday. The boys are staying with the Steffens tonight, and Monica is taking my mother to the train station in the morning. We're not sure when we'll be home, but we'll pick them up from the Steffens when we do. Thanks everyone for helping out with all our convoluted problems!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
(Jeremiah 29:11-13)

No comments: