Saturday, April 4, 2009

Weakness

Last night was the start of a rough day for Krista. There was the same old problems, but compounded with a new level of weakness because of the elevated potassium. As the weakness increased, it became difficult for her to get around, even feeling faint on occasion. We didn't have anything to help deal with the potassium because the UCLA oncologist wanted the endocrinologist to deal with it -- and we won't see him until Monday. With the danger of a potential potassium increase sending her to the emergency room again, I thought that I ought to call her local oncologist to see if we could get a prescription for Kayexalate. He thought that was a good idea, too. It took some doing to find a pharmacy that carried it, but we did find one eventually. The dose is quite a bit lower than the one she had in the emergency room so, though it is helping, it is likely to take some time to get her strength back.

Another unfortunate part of the day was that Krista's mucusitis seems to be returning. There are two sores in the roof of her mouth that have blistered up. She has not kept up as well as she should have on her mouth care because the baking soda mix builds up a salty layer that gets to be unbearable. We changed over to a plain saltwater rinse that Krista tolerates much better.

It is so nice to have Becky here with all this going on. She's been working hard cooking, cleaning, shopping, taking the kids for walks. It's been freeing me up to focus on helping Krista along. I can see that it's going to be really difficult to juggle things if they continue to be rough on her.

To you I call, O LORD my Rock;
do not turn a deaf ear to me.
For if you remain silent,
I will be like those who have gone down to the pit.
Hear my cry for mercy
as I call to you for help,
as I lift up my hands
toward your Most Holy Place.
(Psalm 28:1-2)

No comments: