Saturday, April 25, 2009

Long Night

Krista's urology appointment was today. We both liked the local urologist, who seemed very knowledgeable and thorough. She examined Krista and came to the conclusion that the blood in the urine was coming from old urethra "thing" she dealt with in the hospital. With the low platelets, the damaged area is still prone to bleeding. The pain and frequency of urination is still something of a mystery, but it might be because of cylclophosporide toxicity. The doctor wants to get a camera in to take a look at it, but won't be able to do that until next week. She prescribed two new medicines to see if they help ease the pain and frequency of urination.

After the appointment, Krista felt good enough to get an early lunch out with me -- and after that she still wanted to go. We stopped in at a local sports store and picked up soccer ball for the boys, who managed to destroy or lose their practice balls from the fall. When she got home, she was ready for a few long naps due to generalized aching.

The aching continued through on to the night, despite the new medicines. After dinner she took a bath and then went to bed. Just before 10 pm, she told me that she felt hot and asked me to take take her temperature. It was 38.4 Celcius, or 101.1 Fahrenheit. In the hospital 38.0C or over is a fever, so I looked up the manual they sent home with me to see what I should do about it. She hasn't had a fever since we left, so this was new territory for us. The manual said to page the oncologist for 38.3C or higher, so I paged him and he said that she passed the boundary and had to check into the ER at UCLA. I had to break the news to Krista, who really didn't want to go. Eventually she recognized the need to go, so we packed up a change of clothes and headed out. It's a good thing my mother was still there. She was supposed to leave in the morning. We'll likely be here overnight, and possibly longer. We didn't get here until 12:30am. It's 3:15am when I'm writing this but they've already taken blood, given her an x-ray of her chest, and given her two IV antibiotics. Ah, another long night.

Jesus left the synagogue and went to the home of Simon. Now Simon's mother-in-law was suffering from a high fever, and they asked Jesus to help her. So he bent over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up at once and began to wait on them.
(Luke 4:38-39)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike and Krista,
We are sorry you are back in LA. We are coming down today for David's birthday party; let us know if you need anything and we will swing it by the hospital.
Our love and prayers are with you!
Cheryl for all the Gs