Thursday, October 2, 2008

Different Kind of Day

Today was a strange day with not the normal staff assigned to my room - a traveling nurse and a floater nurse's aide - my lot for being so "easy" right now...ha. But, it makes me appreciate, even more, the wonderful 6th Central nurses who have become so close to me.

I took a walk to the patio with today's temperatures being so nice and I went all the way to the other side where you can sit facing the ocean and feel with breeze on your face. I sat there for awhile and just prayed as the Lord led me. It was a sweet time.

Not long after I returned to my room, two pastors from my church gave me a surprise visit (it was a surprise to me anyway - sometimes I'm too tired to remember plans!) We had a nice time catching up after their last visit and they prayed for me.

My family was not able to come for a visit today for a variety of reasons, but they are well and had a great morning doing school at the Steffen's house -- Thanks Alyssa!

Adam already sounds older on the phone as he shared with me about the fun time he had at a pizza party after soccer practice this evening. I had a conversation with Trevor that went like this:

Trevor: Remember when I told you that Captain John Smith is dead?
Me: Yes
Trevor: Well, he's alive now.
Me: Ok, you tell me about that tomorrow when I see you.

(Trevor is 6 and is reading a chapter book on Pocahontas, so I'm very curious about this twist in the biography, LOL!) Both boys are reading it as their current "read-alone" (vs. read aloud) book for school as we're studying the Native Americans right now, and they were both fascinated with the fact that John Smith's boat blew up and he was killed. I actually didn't know that, and maybe that is what Trevor's talking about as the story unfolds - maybe it was thought to have happened but they find him later, I don't know! I just love learning with my children. Please don't let your kids learn history from Disney movies. :) (Actually, I never saw the Disney movie, but am assuming that they didn't blow up John Smith, LOL)

So I missed my family today, but will see them tomorrow (Friday) yay! And I'm all gussied up with a shower and clean hair, imagine that! Feels so good - visitors take note: come soon after showers for freshest Krista experience :)

Praise: My white blood cells had increased .2 - I'll take them any way I get 'em!

Prayer: Please pray for my eyes as it seems the Decadron drops that I had to put in my eyes 2x per day started doing something that caused them to feel scratchy, blurry and super sensitive. I could hardly open my eyes tonight and am thankful for my kind nurse Kristi for helping me by washing them out with saline so I could get this post done before bed. Pray for my mucous membranes to be miraculously restored and/or unaffected - side effects of the chemo. And for my white blood cells to begin rebuilding on their own.

Lamentations 3:21-33

21 Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:

22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.

23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him."

25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;

26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD.

27 It is good for a man to bear the yoke
while he is young.

28 Let him sit alone in silence,
for the LORD has laid it on him.

29 Let him bury his face in the dust—
there may yet be hope.

30 Let him offer his cheek to one who would strike him,
and let him be filled with disgrace.

31 For men are not cast off
by the Lord forever.

32 Though he brings grief, he will show compassion,
so great is his unfailing love.

33 For he does not willingly bring affliction
or grief to the children of men.

No comments: