Sunday, October 19, 2008

Downs and Ups - and Adjustment to My Last "Tips" Post

First the adjustment to my "tips" post from Friday: I may be regretting telling people not to call after all! So NEVER MIND that one! I forgot that I can easily turn off my phone when I can't take a call and you can certainly leave a message for me. Weekends are easier to call me because minutes are "free" then. But, I'd be glad to hear from my dear ones anytime.

I knew the transition would be hard, emotionally speaking. It is just so weird going from round-the-clock care to self-sufficiency in one night. Then at home, I am noticing the neuropathy I didn't seem to have in the hospital, or maybe I did and it was taken care of by pain medications for headaches. The headaches go on and appear every morning when I wake up, sometimes waking me up in the middle of the night. Seems like laying down for more than a few hours is what triggers it. On top of all this, my eyesight is blurry and my eyes and skin are mildly painful. I got quite discouraged, as some of you who are on Facebook may have noticed when I set my status to read: "Krista took her eyes off the Lord when suffering lingered on, much like Peter when he began to walk toward Jesus on the water and then sank."

I wanted to share with you tonight how God is still here and proves himself to me all the time, which He doesn't have to do at all since He is who He is and the Bible is all I should need. However, He knows how weak I am and cares about me so much that He's willing to do that for me. I will never understand the measure of how much He loves me or the amount of grace He shows me by the hour.

As soon as Mike came home from church, he encouraged me with words from a friend who conveyed her appreciation for this blog and encouraged me not to stop. Thank you Nancy, you don't know how much I needed to hear that today of all days.

Then, as soon as I told Mike how discouraged I felt today, the phone rang and it was my dear friend Lisa from CO, who never ceases to inspire me. I LOVE this lady and her family so much and God just knew I needed to hear from her right then. I love the timing--how perfect is our God?

Then later, as I was resting, laptop nearby :), I noticed my husband in the other room, had taken a moment to respond to my status. Please note that we do have great conversations in person, but he just felt he needed to respond to my pitiful status to set the record straight - not only for me, but for all those who were paying attention. Isn't he wonderful? So for those of you who aren't on Facebook, I'd like you to see Mike's response to me (and mine to him) and how his final response to me shows me so much that God has not left me for a minute despite my feeling like "God has left the building," another pitiful utterance of how it feels when you are suffering for longer than 2 weeks.

So as you recall my status was "Krista took her eyes off the Lord when suffering lingered on, much like Peter when he began to walk toward Jesus on the water and then sank."

Then, Mike wrote, "Jesus picked him up when Peter called. :) "

To which I commented, "Oh YES, you are so right...and in my discouragement, I had forgotten the end of the story! Thanks, honey!"

And what brought me back to my knees in heartfelt prayer, was Mike's realization, "Hey I think that's what Ricky prayed for everyone today. The message was from James 5:19-20 'My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.' He (Pastor Ricky) prayed that EVERYONE there would bring someone back to the truth, and there you are. Isn't God good?"

So, as you can see, God answered Ricky's prayer in this family. Mike brought me back to the truth that God is there even in my suffering. And Nancy brought me back to the blog today, yay Nancy! And Lisa also encouraged my soul and even gave me a great tip that I'll share with you in another post about how to make online reading easier.

To top it all off, this evening, I received a wonderful message from someone I've never even met. What a blessing to read: "We've never met, but I want you to know that I believe God has given me a burden to pray for you and your family. You are always on my heart and in my prayers. I am often overwhelmed by the Love Jesus has for you. It is altogether wide, long, high and deep (Ephesians 3:18) May He continue to smile upon you and your family even in the rough patches. May His light continue to shine in darkness and may you have the peace which passes all understanding. Prayin' for you sister." That was four ways God used others to reach me today. I am feeling much more hopeful tonight.

I am also overwhelmed by the love of my brothers and sisters in Christ, as seen by this praying sister whom I've never met. Is that not incredible? And I know there are many, many, even some readers here, whom I've never met, yet who are praying for me now and who continue as I face an even greater battle ahead. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I hope you enjoyed today's post and please don't hesitate to contact me. God works through others as well. You all have been such a blessing, and I'd hate to lose touch just because I'm home.

Deuteronomy 31:8 "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I told Mike today - your posts are such a blessing & encouragement to all of my family as we faithfully read them & pray for you! Thank you for sharing your heart with us all . . . our faith is increased by seeing your faith increase. Welcome home :)

Nancy