Friday, October 17, 2008

Transitioning from Hospital Life to Home Life: Important Request

So much good news! My white cell count soared to 13.7 (13,700) up from 5.6 yesterday! So no more Nupagen shots are needed as my body has responded quite well. I only needed 3 shots of Nupagen this time. I remember 3 years ago needing a week's worth at least.

I started Procrit yesterday - no it's not a new nickname for myself. It's actually a once-a-week shot that stimulates your bone marrow to produce red blood cells. It must be working because those went from 8.3 to 8.7 in a day, where they had been falling over the last couple days. We shall see. As a going home gift, I'm receiving a transfusion of 1-unit of red blood that I requested because I just don't feel very good riding in the 8's. This should bring me to the high 9's. Still low, but my doctor doesn't want to take any risks with me.

And platelets, wow platelets! I went from 31k to 54k all by myself :) That's amazing to me and even to my doctor who won't say so after I asked him if he was amazed (at my blood results). His response? "I'm very, very, very, very pleased. VERY PLEASED." So then I asked him, "Then what amazes you?" He says, "The fact that you're smiling again." He's a nice guy, and I almost cried writing that, but come on! That is really not all that amazing is it? I smile most of the time...it was just a rough couple of weeks. When he left he shook my hand and said with all sincerity, "Thank you for getting better (my numbers) so quickly." I said, "Thank God!" as I pointed up. He stopped and turned back with a smile saying, "We will." But just so you know, he never knocked on wood laminate again.

Weird news...Dr. Wolliver said I caused him neurosis last night as he was realizing that my jaw pain could have been caused by something that they found in the blood cultures yesterday. It was a real slow grower and took all this time to come back, but I had an anaerobic organism in my blood stream that is found in the mouth normally...so it had gotten in through one of the lacerations in the roof of my mouth most likely. This organism actually causes jaw pain and headaches, and I've been under I.V. antibiotics for a week which probably helped, so they're sending me home with a penicillin-type antibiotic to be sure we get it all. Of course, it is one of those things that everyone has in their mouth, but doesn't usually get into the blood stream. Seems like the weird infections or strange side effects are reserved for me!

So I'm going home! Today! Late this afternoon, or early evening. Depending on Mike's schedule, food deliveries and my nap schedule. I just might be here until after dinner! (Actually, the plan is to be out of here by 5 pm so we can pick up Trevor at soccer on the way home and not miss the dinner delivery tonight!)

So you can be praying for me as I transition to home life. It won't be easy. I remember feeling the shock of going from round-the-clock care to NADA! It's a really strange feeling and I am sure it will be better this time around since we live in Santa Barbara now and are not isolated...lots of friends to fill the void should I need social support. But don't assume someone else is filling that role! Check in with me from time to time via email and ask how I'm doing and if I'd like company or help. Also, don't call...that's a funny request after just telling you I need you all! What I mean is, I would REALLY appreciate a note of encouragement in the mail (5069 Oleander Pl., Santa Barbara, CA 93111) and emails for the quick check-ins, but let me call you when I am able since I'll be recovering still and may be sleeping or homeschooling my kids.

I want you to know how VERY much we appreciate all the love and support we've received through your prayers, encouraging notes, visits, meals, shopping, childcare, etc. We couldn't have gone through this without you! We'll still be in need of these things as I regain my strength. Just because I'm returning home does not mean I'm "all better" now and can return to my normal pace of life. Things we still need help with are cleaning, occasional childcare such as we had been receiving as needed, general yard care, a cute short haircut for myself before my hair falls out. (I'm needing this and not wanting to pay my normal salon cut prices just to see it all fall out in a week or two, but the tangles I'm getting are atrocious!)

You won't hear from me every day from now on, but I'll update you when there is any news. Expect next week to be news as I go in for another bone marrow biopsy around Wednesday. One day next week (possibly Tuesday) we'll be going to UCLA for my consultation before waiting for a donor match. Oh, yes, you can pray for a donor match to come through before I ever need to come back here for another round of chemo. The doctors would want to do that to keep it in remission if I had to wait for a donor. Thanks again for sharing the burden, as well as the victory, in this journey!

Philippians 4:12-14 "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles."

2 comments:

KBugg said...

I am so happy for you Krista, and am privileged to have met you on your journey. Forward on to more of God's blessings!!! Have fun with your family, and I will definitely keep in contact with you!

Regina said...

Hey Krista!
I just found out today you have been released from the hospital. I was planning on coming to visit.
Well, I'm bringing dinner on Tuesday so hopefully I will see you then. I'm glad you are at home now. Praise God for His miracles!