Monday, May 18, 2009

More Challenges

The nausea Krista had last night didn't end up sending her to the emergency room. Still, it was a bummer that she was feeling so bad because we had planned to go out to her favorite Chinese restaurant as a belated Mother's day celebration for my mother. Instead, we changed it to Chinese take-out celebration. Krista wasn't able to join us and, since she didn't have any dinner last night, she woke up hungry at 4:30 a.m. After I heated up some dinner leftovers for her, I heard Adam calling me from his bedroom. He said he felt hot and had a sore throat. I checked his temperature and it was 102.3F. His sore throat faded, but the fever stayed at 101F throughout the day.

Mom was scheduled to leave today, but with Krista and Adam feeling bad she wasn't sure if now was the time to leave. I took Krista to the lab to test how her kidneys were doing after Friday's saline flush, but we still haven't heard back any results. That didn't make her decision any easier. In fact, I think it was pretty hard on her to feel so helpless to make things better here. The truth is that Mom was a huge help, but there is so much of this recovery that is beyond our control. I've fully accepted the situation as a long-term war and I know that God is going to restore her, and I have to keep that perspective to be able to ride out the ups and downs. But I often forget that it's a whole other challenge to be in on the battle for a shorter time. Mom ended up going home in the afternoon, but we were grateful for all her help, for however long we could have her.

Krista continues struggling with nausea and generalized pain. Alyssa took her to their bible study tonight, but it was pretty hard on Krista to deal with the stimulus. I started noticing today that she would sometimes have to take unusually deep breaths. Krista said that she does this when she gets heart palpitations. I'm going to ask the doctor about that when they call with the results from the labs.

We will shout for joy when you are victorious
and will lift up our banners in the name of our God.
May the LORD grant all your requests.
Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed;
he answers him from his holy heaven
with the saving power of his right hand.
(Psalm 20:5-6)

No comments: