Friday, May 29, 2009

Too Much, Too Little

Krista has been craving appetizers constantly this week. Though it sounded really good last night, the guacamole and chips I made for Krista last night didn't agree with her stomach. It was a little on the spicy side, even for me. She went to bed with stomach pains and this morning it was doing a number on her lower intestines. It wasn't severe, but it was uncomfortable... and temporary. By the afternoon she was feeling better, though sleepy. I've been pretty sleepy, too; trying to keep up on everything has kept me up late at night working. Mia McElwee brought us a pasta and meatballs dinner -- thanks Mia! I get to go to bed that much earlier because of it!

Krista started having some muscle pain this evening. We got the lab results back today from yesterday's blood test. There haven't been any major changes, but I did notice that her magnesium was on the low side. Magnesium deficiency can display itself in loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and weakness for mild deficiency and numbness, tingling, muscle contractions and cramps, seizures (sudden changes in behaviors caused by excessive electrical activity in the brain), personality changes, abnormal heart rhythms, and coronary spasms can occur. She's had some of these symptoms in the past few weeks, but I don't think her level (which is just under the normal range) is completely responsible for them. I went ahead and gave her a magnesium supplement to see if it helps her anyway. It can't hurt to bring the level up a little.

[Jesus speaking] "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
(Matthew 11:28-30)

No comments: