Sunday, June 7, 2009

Finishing the Race

I'm back! I thought I would try blogging again since I'm feeling stronger that way lately, and it will give Mike one less thing to do so late at night.

After Carolyn Aijian's good advice yesterday about not doing too much too soon, I decided to stay home from church today to recover from yesterday's graduation outing. That 4-hour outing left my muscles and joints aching today. So, Mike took the kids to church without me. And, no, he did not come back with any doughnuts from Eller's...this is becoming contentious, let me tell ya! :) I've been encouraging his perspective to change...he allows me french bread (a white bread) and french fries (fried food), so what's wrong with 1 doughnut (fried bread) which I haven't had in years? Oh, but to his credit, he is slaving over homemade chicken and dumplings this afternoon and evening...it's a long recipe!

My good friend Lisa Weaver from Colorado Springs called today and I'm SOOO excited to find out that their family is coming out to northern San Diego County next weekend for a whole month! We are hoping to visit them while they're here. Pray I'll be strong enough to do that, not this Saturday, but next. That's a good 2 weeks to improve.

I was really encouraged by Lisa, because right before she called I was havng a complete crying fit and feeling just horrible inside. Sometimes in my daily battle, I feel so encouraged by the Lord, especially when so many people share with me how much they've been touched by my life and how God is using our situation. Wow, I KNOW that it is God doing it through us because, I'm really not all THAT, if you know what I mean. It is a daily battle to
remain in His will because I could easily give up and totally focus on myself. I even do it from time to time. Let me share with you a story that blessed me yesterday as I tend to be one to start things and not finish them...it's my nature.

Yesterday's commencement speech was given by a man who reminded the students about the importance of living DAILY for Christ. Yes, we begin strongly, but oftentimes we don't finish. When he was in high school he joined the track team, and the first time he went out the coach said before he started the 5 mile race, "Are you committed to finishing? Because if you're not, then don't even begin!" The speaker said, he hesitated, never having to make a "back-end" decision, only making "front-end" decisions until now. He means most decisions are made to start something, but we never think about deciding to finish. Well, the coach said, "It's a split-second decision, what will it be?" He chose to commit to finishing. And, while he ran, feeling miserable for it and watching others fall to the wayside "getting rid of their egg salad sandwiches," he knew he'd finish that 5-mile run only because he'd committed to doing so from the beginning.

So, now I'm committing before you, to finish the race of recovery, no matter how ugly it gets!

1 Corinthians 9:23-25

I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.



No comments: