Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Solvang Excursion

How can I top yesterday's blog post? I mean, really. I've been feeling so much better lately that it couldn't possibly happen two days in a row, could it? Well, yes it could.

I told you we'd be heading to Solvang today. For those of you not local to Santa Barbara, Solvang is 35 min. away - not that far, but with the beautiful rolling hills and small mountains on one side and the ocean on the other as you drive up to Solvang, it seems like a world away. So at 8:30 we left to go to Paula's Pancake House for breakfast. Jan and I split the Paula's Special: Danish pancakes topped with fresh strawberries and fresh whipped cream. And we each had a Danish sausage. I don't like regular buttermilk pancakes, but I LOVE Danish ones. They are the size of a dinner plate and very, very thin. Afterward, we popped into Olsen's Bakery to get their amazing cheese danishes to bring home for dessert later.

Trevor didn't really remember being in Solvang much because he was very young then. So through his new eyes it was cute to hear him say, "this is an old-timey town." It's very European looking - a great place to visit!

We took in a little shopping to get a birthday present for a friend, stopped at the bank that my mother-in-law needed to go to (our excuse for getting up there in the first place). And to top it off, I had just enough energy to visit our old friends and neighbors, Donna and Gordon O'Neill. I was excited to find them so well and so happy. I could sense that they are walking closely with the Lord and how great to hear of their many blessings since my last visit. I would have taken a photo of these folks, but my cell phone camera just died on me this month. Bummer.

Boy was I tired when we left at 12:30 pm! We drove home and Jan made me a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch (my favorite). Did I tell you I was tired? Exhausted is more like it! But, what is so great is that there is a reason I'm tired...I did a ton! It beats being tired for no reason and sitting on the couch all day. I couldn't sleep when I tried to lay down though...so I got up and talked to a friend on the phone and went on the computer. Then it was time to make dinner. Yes! I made a meatloaf which turned out pretty good. Mike's mom made corn on the cob and salad to go with it. NOW I'm exhausted, and you can probably tell by my poorly written blog post tonight. So I'll sign off for now because I'm doing the "exhaustion ramble."

Isaiah 40:27-29

Why do you say, O Jacob,
and complain, O Israel,
"My way is hidden from the LORD;
my cause is disregarded by my God"?

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

No comments: