Thursday, June 11, 2009

God Loves Me, Therefore I Can Sleep

I'm really, really tired right now. I had less energy today overall just because of how much I've done in the last 3 or 4 days. I went out twice today on errands and spent a good portion of the day memorizing poems with the kids and doing a fun spanish class with them (La Clase Divertida). They loved it both of my new programs! I had a great time too. Problem is, I still have to go through my curriculum and books, pulling them and tagging them for a used curriculum fair this weekend. Tomorrow is the drop-off day. I also wanted to get the Crockpot Gumbo started tonight so I could just put it on for tomorrow. But this exhaustion has set in, which unfortunately means that Mike will probably end up doing it.

I'm really thankful to Monica Stanton for bringing us a wonderful black bean soup, salad and garlic bread! I couldn't have possibly made dinner tonight after my long day.

Mike's mom has been a big help driving me around. For instance today she took me to Fairview Gardens because I wanted to sign up for their Community-Supported Agriculture program for the summer harvest. I think I was missing some brain cell connections today due to the fatigue because I kept forgetting things like my wallet. It didn't matter anyway because the coordinator who I could sign up with wasn't there until 1 p.m. when the pick-up of harvest shares arrived. So off to the next stop, the pharmacy.

We stopped home for lunch and got back in the car to go back to the farm to sign up and get our boatload of veggies and fruits for the week. This time I forgot my grocery bags and my collection of strawberry baskets that has been growing for too long. Thankfully, they had Trader Joe's paper bags to use in lieu of our cotton sachels.

What incredible joy it was to smell all those vegetables and herbs wafting from the table! They'd been picked this morning so were not only organic, but incredibly fresh. We received 2 huge heads of lettuce, romaine and red leaf...at home those went into 4 gallon-sized ziplock bags! We also received green beans, turnips, beets, dandelion greens, arugula, nectarines, strawberries, 2 kinds of squash, a huge head of fragrant basil, oregano and carrots. It will last us a week and then some! Though now I won't hesitate to eat a salad whenever I feel like it...sometimes I feel like I have to save the greens for dinner.

I signed up for CSA because we've done it before and it's a wonderful experience for the kids and for us too...being connected to the food that you eat, where it comes from and having it so fresh and full of nutrients is very rewarding to the soul. I am hoping the increase in our vegetable consumption will also continue me on the road to good health and help the kids not get sick as much since we'd been relying on fast foods and more processed foods then ever before. I highly recommend checking out a CSA farm in your area! You can search for one at the Local Harvest website

Off to finish watching the Lakers game, have a homemade milkshake and cull books before flopping over on the couch at around 10:30 p.m. I'll be too tired to make it to bed and will wake up after 1 a.m. to crawl to bed for a good night sleep.

Psalm 127:2

In vain you rise early
and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to those he loves.

No comments: